Entry requirements

All foreign citizens intending to remain in Portugal for a period of up to one year, or to establish their residence for more than one year, must request the respective long-stay visa – Temporary Stay or Residence – from the Portuguese embassy in their country of residence or from the Portuguese embassy with jurisdiction over their country of residence.

Visas may be requested for the following purposes: investment, work (employed or independent), study, professional training, research, highly skilled work or teaching, religious training and medical recovery and treatment.

All nationals of European Union Member States, States that are part of the European Economic Area (EEA), states with which the European Community have free travel agreements and nationals of third States who are family members of a Portuguese citizen or family members of EU or EEA citizens are excluded from long-stay visa procedures. The only requirements for these applicants is that they have to hold a Schengen visa, if applicable, upon arrival in Portugal and must register with the Foreigners and Borders Service in their area of residence. All applicants must simply have, when entering Portugal, a Schengen Visa, if applicable, and to register with the Foreign Services and Borders of their area of residence.



General documentation
  • Official form;
  • Passport or additional travel document valid for 3 months after the duration of the stay;
  • Two passport photos, up-to-date and with enough quality to identify the applicant;
  • Valid travel insurance, allowing medical coverage, including medical emergencies and repatriation;
  • Proof of being in a regular situation when from a different nationality than that of the country where the visa is being applied for;
  • Request for criminal record enquiry by the Immigration and Border Services (SEF);
  • Criminal record certificate from the country of origin or the country where the applicant is residing for over a year (children under the age of 16 are exempt from producing a criminal record);
  • Proof of means of subsistence as stipulated by law;
  • Proof of subsistence means can be made through a statement of responsibility, signed by a Portuguese national or by a foreign national legally resident in Portugal.

Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Directorate General of Consular Affairs and Portuguese Communities

Golden residence permit programme

Since 2012, citizens of Third States can obtain a Residence Permit for investment activity (ARI), also known as “Golden Visa”, if they carry out one of the following investments in Portugal:

  • Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than € 1.000.000;
  • Creation of at least 10 jobs;
  • Acquisition of properties in an amount equal to or greater than € 500.000;
  • Acquisition of properties built more than 30 years ago or located in ARU and carrying out rehabilitation works on them, in an amount equal to or greater than € 350.000.
  • Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 350.000, which is invested in research activities;
  • Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than € 250.000, which is invested in investment or support for artistic production, recovery, or maintenance of the national cultural heritage;
  • Capital transfer in an amount equal to or greater than € 350.000, intended for the acquisition of investment units in investment funds or venture capital funds dedicated to the capitalization of companies;
  • Capital transfer in an amount equal to or greater than € 350.000, intended for the constitution of a commercial company based in Portugal, with the creation of 5 jobs, or for the reinforcement of the social capital of an already incorporated commercial company, with the creation or maintenance of jobs.

These types of investments can be made both individually and through a single-person company by shares of which the Investor is the partner.

Source: Ministry of Internal Affairs – Foreign Services and Borders


In Portugal, official services for providing healthcare to the population are organized as the National Health Service. In addition to this public service, there are freely available private health institutions and professionals.

The hospital network is made up of modern and well-equipped units, distributed throughout the country, which have long-standing relationships with the major international insurance companies.

In order to make overseas patients feel more comfortable, hospitals are implementing personalized patient care and monitoring services, with English as the language of communication.

Portugal also has an Integrated Medical Emergency System, which guarantees the fast and accurate provision of healthcare to accident victims or anyone suffering a sudden illness, and rapid response times by the emergency services.

The World Health Report by the World Health Organisation awarded the Portuguese health system number 12 in its ranking.
Where to go?

If you need to use the National Health Service, remember that you can get medical assistance at the local Health Center nearest to you. In emergency situations, you can use the Hospital Casualty Services (serious trauma, poisoning, burns, heart attacks, thrombosis, respiratory problems, etc.).

In the event of an emergency, phone the European Emergency Number: 112. There is also an information hotline where you can get advice and assistance on health issues – Linha Saúde 24 – 808242424.

Please note:

  • If you are a national of one of the 28 European Union countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you must show your European Health Insurance Card (issued in your country of origin) and your passport or identification document in order to gain access to free or low-cost healthcare.
  • Overseas citizens holding Portuguese residency permits must be registered at a Health Centre and must hold a User’s Card, which may be obtained at the Health Center by presenting a document showing proof of residence authorization.

If you need to go to Hospital, the national network of units belonging to the National Health Service is available to you: www.sns.gov.pt/sns/pesquisa-prestadores/

If you have private health insurance, check whether your company has an agreement with a private hospital outside the public service.